Saturday, November 10, 2007

I hate passwords. Does anyone else?

For one....I hate them because it's something else that I have to stick into my brain under the file "Remember This" and that file is so jam-packed full things are starting to leak out and I'm forgetting the important things to remember. Like the password for this blog. I've had to re-set it twice now in the past two days because the password that I use for everything else is too short!

That takes me to my next complaint. Who gets to say whether a password is too short, too long, too dumb or too ______ (you fill in the blank)? I really want to know because I want to STRANGLE that person. Each thing, of course, that you have to set a password for is different. Just like the gas station pumps or the card readers at a store or even the gift registries at stores (which is another subject that I won't harp on here).....but WHY can't they all be the same? I'm tired of looking and feeling stupid because someone somewhere has to put their own spin on something that already worked in the first place. Everything has to be Individualized. I understand the importance of feeling different and being your own person. BUT passwords and card readers and gas pumps are NOT people....therefore their feelings WILL NOT get hurt if we keep everything the same and make a Universal way of doing things. That way my pea brain can focus on something more important than trying to remember which gas station I'm at and which way I have to press the buttons and in what order. (and whether or not I have to lift the handle, press a button or just sing to the gas pump and look pretty!)

You want another reason I hate passwords so much? (too bad I'm going to tell you anyway).....because it means that I can't TRUST fellow human beings to do the right thing, keep their nose out of my business and be just honest, kind, and not self-seeking. Because that's what it comes right down to doesn't it? We can't trust people. And I think that's the saddest thing........EVER. It has always boggled my mind what people find to do that they think is fun. Hacking (into everything and anything to either steal or gain the upper hand over someone else), making and sending viruses to destroy people's computers, stealing someone's identity because they've already screwed up thier own. I really can't imagine what must possess those people to do such things. Really I can't. Now, that's not to say that I've never done something wrong, never put myself first when I should have thought of others or even taken something for myself knowing full well someone else might need that. BUT, I haven't, as of yet, purposefully went out, mind set, to destroy someone else's life. And, so, that's where passwords come in.

Now, passwords are one thing. But when your password isn't even safe....what do you do then? Well, you do what our bank has done to us and they have made it so that you have to remember three different numbers and about 10 different answers to questions that are different everytime! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Now THAT really makes my brain hurt. And the result? You guessed it. I don't log into that site unless I absolutely have to. And when I do...I usually end up having to answer more questions than the smarter human being (my husband for one) because I can't remember the answers or I answer SO many of them wrong that I end up locking myself out and have to either e-mail or telephone the bank and describe to them in detail what an idiot I am that I can't remember my own password.

I hate passwords. Did I already say that?

No comments: